Thursday 30 May 2013

Progress Report on Save The Last Dance For Me

After months of a fairly radical rewrite of certain parts of Save The Last Dance For Me, I have finally printed off all 323 pages (91,000+ words) and sent them to the New Writers Scheme of the Romantic Novelists' Association. This is the third time I have had it critiqued and, as such, will be the last. I wait with baited breath the ensuing report.

One of the changes I made was to the title. It is now called A Suitable Young Man. Which of course my hero is definitely not! This is because he has a rival who is definitely A Suitable Young Man.  As the novel is set in the mid 1950s when mothers were definitely keen on their daughters finding and settling down with A Suitable Young Man. Back then, if you weren't courting seriously or engaged to be married, you were considered to be 'On The Shelf'. Sounds archaic now, but that was how it was then. 

I'm now looking forward to getting back to my follow-on novel, Bittersweet Fellowship. It will be good getting to know my characters again.

7 comments:

  1. So pleased you've sent it off! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marilyn. It's been hard work but let's hope it's worth it! Will post again when I've heard back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for a good report, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally, for your continued encouragement.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your novel with the NWS. I sent mine off beginning of May... and await its return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa, and best of luck for a good report yourself. It can be a bit nerve-wracking though, can't it?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, also, Teresa, for 'following' me. I've only just noticed and feel touched that you want to read my humble offerings.

      Delete