Monday 20 June 2011

A new venture for me!

I've written a poem!  This is an entry for an Arts and Crafts competition for the Chesterfield Federation of Townswomen's Guilds. I know it doesn't really sound like an arty-crafty thing but one of the categories was to write a poem with the theme of summer. I decided to have a go, even though I've always said I'm rubbish at poetry but I thought I ought to wave the flag for our very small Guild. It's in free verse and I've always thought poems had to rhyme to be poems but it seems not. So what's to lose? At the very least, I'll get a point or so for our own Guild. And every little helps!

Last Monday, I gave a talk and a reading at a local women's group and it seemed to go well. The theme was 'The Monologues of Stanley Holloway', in which I give some background details about Stanley Holloway and how the monologues came into being. The monologues included 'The Lion and Albert' which is very popular. I think it's something to do with me having a Lancashire accent. In case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, it begins 'There's a famous seaside town called Blackpool' and is about a family visiting Blackpool zoo, where the little lad gets eaten by a lion called Wallace, who has a delicate stomach. It includes the lines, 'You'd have thought it were t'little lad's birthday, (Wallace) wished him such happy returns.' Any payment I receive for such talks, goes to a charity which operates in one of the South African townships.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the poem was a success and good to hear about your talk - maybe one day you'll be talking about and signing your newly published novel!

    ReplyDelete